Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Joshua and His Toddler Bed

So sorry that I didn't get a blog out Friday or Monday. Things are starting to get back to normal (whatever that is) with school and every day scheduling. The only difference is that the times I would usually sit down to do a quick blog I'm now sitting down to nurse Kyle. Not that it is a bad thing, I actually love nursing and spending time with him. I've done this enough times now to know that it is over way too quick, so I like to savor this time. So, please forgive me if I don't get a blog out each week day. I promise that I will try. I guess, for now, there may be days that I just don't get to it.

So, that being said, we have just recently gotten Joshua into his toddler bed. Since Kyle is sleeping with us in our bed we decided to just convert the crib into a toddler bed. Joshua has been sleeping in his crib with the mattress lowered all the way on the floor because he kept crawling out of the crib with the mattress in the lowest position and we were afraid that he would hurt himself when he climbed out of his bed. We had planned on making the switch from crib to toddler bed before Kyle was born but it just didn't happen. So last night Jim and Josiah were able to make the switch. The only thing left to do was to see how Joshua would do. Would he stay in bed or continually climb out?

Here's what we did once bed time arrived. We put him in bed and had his sister's watch him and encourage him to stay in bed. That didn't work too well. So, I decided to go upstairs and read him some books. I noticed that he seemed to be getting tired so I left a couple of cardboard books with him in his bed and headed downstairs. Before I went to sleep I went upstairs to check on him and he was sleeping soundly. The girls informed me this morning that they had to read to him a few more times before he was settled, but that he stayed in bed and went to sleep. (I did put up a guard rail before I left the room keep him from falling out of bed, this may help in keeping him from getting out of bed as well).
At nap time today Josiah put him in bed (put the guard rail in place) and the kids gave him plenty of books. Sure enough he's upstairs sleeping right now. He didn't even try to get out of bed :)

This is what he looks like...



We will make sure that we continue to switch out the books so he doesn't get bored with the same ones. And for those of you wondering, no we do not let him sleep like this, we do remove the books from around him so he doesn't hurt or choke himself while sleeping.

We shall see how tonight goes. Hopefully, it will continue to be this easy to get him to stay in bed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment