Thursday, February 17, 2011

Time for Bed...or Not

In case some of you are wondering how it's going with Joshua sleeping in his toddler bed, I thought I'd give you an update. Challenging! That's my word for how it's going :) The books worked for one night and one nap and that was it. The second night Christiana tried to get him to stay down but he wouldn't get still enough to go to sleep. Finally, after pointing to her table, she figured out he wanted the radio on and then he tucked himself in and fell asleep. Since then it has been a guessing game as to what will make him go to sleep. Sometimes singing to him works, sometimes reading a book, sometimes having me just sit next to him works, and sometimes it feels like a wrestling match trying to keep him in bed. In fact, the reason I didn't get a post out on Tuesday was because I was trying to get Joshua down for his nap and was so exhausted afterwards that I fell asleep as well.

My napping buddy on Tuesday.

Today, I'm letting Joshua stay up and play outside during nap time in hopes that he will fall asleep quickly tonight. I am so looking forward to warm days outside where he can release his energy and be ready to sleep at nap and at night. I think that will make a world of difference.

So, for those of you who may think that with eight children I have it all figured out, now you know. I'm still learning and always ready to receive wisdom from those who have insight into what I don't. Obviously, getting a child to stay in his bed at bedtime is one of those things I haven't figured out yet. And of course, what works for one child may not work for another. I sure hope there's a grading curve on this one.

Any advice on what worked for you? I'm open.


No comments:

Post a Comment