Friday, March 5, 2010

Remembering to Praise

How many times I wish I would remember to praise and encourage my children. Often I find myself upset that my children don't praise and encourage each other as much as they should (or as much as I would like them to). Then I remember that maybe they don't think about it because they don't hear me do so. Don't get me wrong, I do praise and encourage my children, just not as often as I would like. I'm too quick to notice what didn't get done before praising what did get done. I understand that sometimes that comes from being the oldest child (I am oldest of my siblings) but that's not an excuse to continue. I've always heard that praise brings about the behavior you are looking for because when you praise your children then they desire to continue doing what brings them praise. So instead of fussing at our children for what they do wrong we should try to praise what they do right. After all, our children really do want to please us.

So, I am going to try to remember to praise more and criticize less. You try it too, and let me know how it works in your home.

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

No comments:

Post a Comment