Monday, March 22, 2010

Rewards of training your children


Josiah is such a big help with cooking

Kaitlyn and Christiana, my only girls, what a blessing!

I have been sick since Sunday with an awful headache and pains in my joints. I have the side effects of someone who has the stomach flu but I don't have the stomach flu. I share that with you because today I have remained in bed most of the day. You may wonder how a houseful of children can manage when Mommy is sick in bed. It is because I have taught my children how to do everyday chores and give them responsibilities daily so that they learn how to do things on their own.

My oldest daughter steps up and plays Mom when I'm sick. She is such a great help. She knows what I do each day (plus we have a chore chart on the fridge) so she just takes care of things. My oldest son, loves to cook so he likes to take care of meals. My youngest daughter steps up to help take care of Joshua, our one year old. Now, do things always go smoothly, no. You see, more than one of my children enjoy cooking and Josiah doesn't want help when he cooks so there is that little disagreement I have to help with. Also, my oldest daughter becomes Mommy and my oldest son becomes Daddy so there is the battle of who is really in charge when Mommy is sick.

Most of the time, though, I can get plenty of rest and not worry about everyone being taken care of. Once I straighten out that I am still in charge everyone falls into proper order and I can relax. Today, everyone worked on school, fixed meals, and did what needed to be done and I am so thankful. It helps me to know that my house is not in shambles while I am sick and I can relax and recover quicker than I would if I had to be up doing everything. My children are such a blessing to me and I love them dearly.

I encourage you to teach your children how to do everyday tasks even when they are young. Trust me, it does pay off. Now if you'll excuse me I have some precious homemade Get Well Cards to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment