Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday's Tip - Bar Soap into Liquid Soap

This week I made bar soap into liquid hand soap. It's really simple and only takes three ingredients. The directions are found in this link http://www.savvyhousekeeping.com/how-to-turn-a-bar-of-soap-into-liquid-hand-soap/.

A few things I've learned from my experience. I used Ivory soap and it was not like Parmesan cheese when it was grated, mine was not that dry. When you make it it will be very thin like water until it cools completely. I made mine at night then let it cool until morning. I did go ahead and pour it into the 2-liter bottle once it cooled enough It will need to be shaken or stirred a few times. It makes a little more than a 2-liter bottle (that's what I store mine in). The finished product will not lather like commercial soap but it will clean your hands and will smell like whatever bar soap you use, unless you use an essential oil. I would recommend using the glycerin so it does not clump.

I stopped buying liquid hand soap a while back because how quickly it disappears in my house. However, I don't really like bar soap at the sink because of the mess it makes. So now I have the best of both worlds, a more economical soap to wash hands with and no messy sinks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment