Friday, August 24, 2012

Selfish Desires

"If you want to be miserable, all you have to do is be selfish."  Joyce Meyers

Saw this today and I thought, "how true."  It is a sad truth that the most miserable people I know are also the most selfish and they tend to make everyone else around them miserable, too.

Lately, I have been really trying to focus in on why my children, and I myself, do the things we do to others.  Do I hurt those I love because of my selfish desires or do I become selfless in order to bless those I love.  When my children come to me with conflict I now try to get to the heart of the situation and find out why they did what they did.  Most of the time, it boils down to a selfish heart.  I find that the most difficult days in my house come from selfish desires.  When everyone is being selfish no one is being Christ like.  My desire for me and my family is to be Christ like.  Christ was the most selfless person to ever walk the face of this Earth.  He had a meek and quiet spirit, because He realized this life was not about Him but about us.  He didn't entertain himself with selfish desires all the while mistreating those He came to serve. He served. Not for recognition, but because He loved.  That is what I hope to be like and what I hope and pray I can instill in my family.

Thanks for letting me step up on my soap box today.  Have a blessed weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment