Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Garden Veggies

Zucchini bread

Kaitlyn helping cut green beans

Micah helping cut green beans

Garden fresh green beans

I grew up on a small family farm and one of my favorite times of the year was summer when all our garden veggies were ready to be harvested and prepared for meals. One of the things I loved most was stringing and cutting green beans. Everyone would gather together in my grandma's living room and help string and cut the couple of 5-gallon buckets full of green beans. I loved the smell of the beans and the fellowship of everyone hanging around together and helping.

This week two of my older children got the chance to help me with our first batch of green beans from our garden. I didn't have a 5-gallon bucket full but I did have a large bowl full once we were done. My kids were so excited to help and the smell of the fresh cut green beans took me back to a time when I was young and helping my grandma.

That morning we had fresh zucchini bread for breakfast with the first zucchini from our garden. It was delicious and eaten up rather quickly.

I love gathering and cooking fresh veggies that we planted and I can't wait until my tomatoes are ready, they are my favorite fresh garden veggie (I could live off of tomato sandwiches all summer).

I'll keep you posted as more veggies come in and on my storing plans. I plan to do some canning if I get enough veggies to do so. Our family eats quite a bit as it comes in, so we'll see how that goes. Until then blessings to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment