Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"How do you do it" Financially



Another aspect of "How do you do it" is how can we afford a large family on one income. First of all, we are not rich. You don't have to be rich to stay home with your children. My husband, Jim, is a subcontractor for security. He is a technician in security, as in security systems. We do not have any other businesses at this time nor does Jim have to work two jobs.

We took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class this past fall and are learning to live on a budget. We are looking forward to the day when we can call the radio station and yell "We're Debt Free!" We don't have a lot of debt, but I do still have some old college bills. We do not use credit cards of any type (except debit/credit cards that are attached to our bank account) so if we don't have the money for something we don't get it.

I do make a lot of homemade things such as laundry detergent, dryer sheets, baby wipes, cleaning supplies, bread and so forth and have tried to learn as many ways to save here and there by making a few small adjustments, such as using dry milk in recipes that call for milk. I have never been a coupon person because I have found that buying Walmart generic is usually cheaper than a name brand with a coupon. However, I have recently come across some blogs that teach you how to use coupons so you can buy things at rock bottom prices or even for free sometimes. I'll get back to you on that one as I educate myself more.

I believe that children are a blessing from the Lord and that He doesn't give you any more than you can handle. I also believe that God is our provider and that if He is going to bless my family with more children then He will provide for them. My part is making sure that we are using His provisions wisely. I'm not the kind of person that needs a lot of fancy things. I think quality time is more important than stuff. I'm willing to make the sacrifice of living a simple life so that I can bring more quality to my children's lives.

I will post some of my recipes on the items I mentioned above and go into more detail concerning budgeting and planning. So, if you're considering staying at home but don't think you can afford your family on one income, come back for some great tips on how you may be able to do it after all.

"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward" Ps. 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment