Thursday, January 14, 2010

How Do You Do It? Schedules and planners

I would find it impossible to accomplish all the things I need to accomplish each day without some kind of plan or schedule. I also find it much easier to stick to a budget when I have a menu plan for each week. I even have a chore chart made out so the kids know what's expected of them. Now do we always stick to these plans and schedules? No. There are days we make adjustments and that's ok. At least I have an idea of where I'm at and what needs to be done.

For school I have a chart for each hour of the day starting from the time we wake up until the time we go to bed. At any time of the day you can look at our schedule and see what is suppose to be happening (notice I said suppose to). I don't stress over whether we stick to every little minute, but at least we have a plan. Just make a few adjustments here and there and keep moving forward.

For their chores, I have a chore chart made out so everyone can remember what is expected of them. I have daily chores written out then their once a week chores. No one can say they didn't know they were suppose to do something because it's right there on the chart. (We're still working on this one because I'm still working on the "following up" part to make sure their work is accomplished).

Each week I make out a menu plan for our meals throughout the week. This helps me not stress each day about what to fix for meals and it helps the older children know what we are having so they can help or at least get use to the idea if it's not something they really like. My kids have made the comment many times about how they love the menu chart. They just like knowing what's coming up. It also helps me with my budget. I figure what meals to make for the week, and make my grocery list so that I stick to my budget.

Having these may seem rigid to some people, but I realize they are essential. They help me keep up with my day and to accomplish way more than I ever would without them. When everyone knows what is expected of them it just makes the whole house more peaceful. It also helps when I'm sick or when I'm not around, anyone can look at the schedule and stick to the routine. So, for instance, if we had a babysitter come to our home, they would know what we normally do and follow the chart. It would keep me from having to write so much out every time someone came to watch our children. Less confusion is always better, and you can't argue with what's written.

I just figure that if God is a God of order (seasons, night and day, etc.) than what better example to follow than Him.

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years." Genesis 1:14

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you , plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment