Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why we homeschool

Where I grew up everyone went to public school. I knew one girl that went to a private Christian school and had heard of one family that homeschooled. It was just an accepted fact that when you had children they would go to public school. I never really thought of doing anything different.

When I was in college my aunt decided to homeschool her daughter and had invited me to attend a homeschool meeting with her. It was at that time that I realized that I really wanted to homeschool when I had children of my own. After I was married and had children we attended a church where three other families homeschooled. My best friend, who had six children at the time, homeschooled and was able to show me how she did everything. We were surrounded by people that homeschooled. So, when it came time to school our oldest child my husband and I just naturally chose to homeschool (being in agreement was confirmation that it was the right decision for our family). So, since the very beginning I have homeschooled our children.

We choose to homeschool for various reasons. We believe that it is God's design for our family. We believe that our children will receive a better education through homeschooling. We believe that by homeschooling our children will receive the behavioral instruction we desire for them. We believe that it is our job to raise and teach our children and we choose not to give that job to someone else.

By saying all that I'm not saying that everyday is easy. And yes, there have been days when I wondered if it would just be easier to send them to a private school. But since I believe that God led us to this decision then He will give me the strength to do what needs to be done. I love watching my children learn and discover things. Missing out on this would be like missing their first step or their first word, for me anyway. It is a joy to hear my child read knowing that I helped them learn to do that. Just as I believe God enjoys watching us learn to do the things He is teaching us.

Many of you may wonder if you would be able to help your child learn by homeschooling, or think that you couldn't do it. Think for a moment who taught your child to walk, speak, drink from a cup, eat with a spoon, tie their shoe, etc. Now understand that there are all types of curriculum out there to help you teach however you want to teach; hands on, very involved, not so involved, through the computer, or textbooks. You can do it if you desire and there are so many resources available to help you achieve this goal.

I'm not saying that every person should homeschool. I believe that it is each person's decision to make on their own. But if it is something that you would like to do, then let me encourage you that you CAN. If you have the desire to homeschool then pray about it. God gives us the desires of our heart (meaning He is the author of your desire, He is the one giving you that desire). Yes, it's a little scary at first, but you can do it. Just take one day at a time, give it to God and remember to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment