Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Family Time




It's not always easy to find time to spend with your kids. You have to make time. So many times we let modern conveniences take our precious time from us instead of giving us more time. How is it that it seems family quality was better back when we had less "conveniences?" I'm mainly speaking of the TV/computer. It's nice to have the world at your fingertips in a matter of seconds and to know what is going on through the news, but I wonder just how much we are truly giving up to have these. Besides, what is on there that is worth watching or more important than spending time with your children? Now don't get me wrong, I'm not judging anyone. I have been there too. It has only been in the last couple of years that we have cut back on the amount of TV that our family watches. Every day I make the choice to spend time with my family doing something like playing games or reading, instead of spending time watching TV with them (not really with them they just happen to be in the room while the TV is on). There is a BIG difference. Have you ever noticed that when everyone is playing together you don't mind the noise of little ones and they don't seem to get in the way as much. Yet, when you are watching TV you are always telling the little ones who are playing to be quiet and move (because they always seem to be in front of the TV). Ever think maybe they just want your attention? Ok, ok, I'll get off my soap box here because I think you get the picture.

Usually I'm the one who reads to the kids, but Jim decided he wanted to read a book to them that he read when he was young. The children LOVE this time with him reading. They always cheer when it's time to start and beg him to read "one more chapter, please." I love watching our children come together and cuddle during this time. It's a something I'm sure the children will always remember.

I challenge you that if you like to spend your evenings around the TV to take a break from it for a while and try reading to your children instead. I think you will find that it brings everyone together and brings some peace and quiet as well (you can't listen to a story while talking). Plus it gives everyone something in common that they can talk about and discuss. Or, pull out some board games and play together. It really is a lot of fun. And maybe you'll find that you enjoy it more than you thought you would. Our children grow up too fast as it is. Let's not waste any of the precious time we have been given with them. Make memories together.

No comments:

Post a Comment