Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Learning Servanthood

As a way to teach my children to serve others in our community, I went yesterday to a nearby nursing home to sign us up as volunteers. We will not actually be working as volunteers so much as visiting and praying or whatever we can do to serve the people there. Some of my children are excited and others are a little nervous. I know that in the end it will be good for them and a learning experience. I have also recently inquired about helping at a local food bank.

I want my children to be so accustomed to serving that it is just a part of who they are and what they do. It's not something they will have to plan to do, they will just do it. I am hoping it will come naturally to them as they grow.

We have moved a lot and for that reason we haven't gotten too involved in our communities in the past, other than church. Now that we are here and don't plan on going anywhere (other than to build our own log home) I want to get the children involved. I think it is important that we do these things. After all, it is a part of everyone's calling as a Christian.

I will keep you posted on what we do and how things work for our "larger than average" family as we serve and minister to those in our community. How about you? What kinds of things do you do with your family? I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment